- Departments / Centres
OBJECTIVE: To gain a basic understanding about the marketing function and about the marketing strategy formulation.
I. INTRODUCTION - BUYER BEHAVIOR 
Core concepts of marketing: Needs, wants and demands, product, value, satisfaction. Marketing and markets. Evolution of marketing: production concept, product concepts, selling concepts and marketing concepts. Buyer behavior: Model, influencing factors, buying decision process, buying roles and buying stages.
2. SEGMENTATION - N.P.D-P.L.C. 
Segmentation: Approach, factors and procedure. Targeting and Positioning. New Product de NPD model, reasons for success and failures. Product Life Cycle: PLC concepts and strategies to be followed in various stages.
3. PRODUCT AND PRICING STRATEGIES 
Product: Classification, mix decisions and line decisions, branding decisions and packaging. Pricing: Objectives, influencing factors, methods and strategies.
4. CHANNEL AND PROMOTION STRATEGIES 
Channel: Nature, function, dynamics, design and management decisions. Promotion: Advertising decisions — objectives, budget, message, media and evaluation of advertisements. Personal selling — principles. Sales Promotion — objectives and types.
5. MARKETING CONTROL AND STRATEGIES 
Marketing control: Annul plan control, Profitability control, Efficiency control and strategies control. Marketing strategies: for leaders, followers, challengers, niche players and global markets.
l. Kotler, Philip, Marketing Management: The Millennium edition, PHI pvt. Ltd:New Delhi. 10th edition, 1999.
1. Ramaswamy V.S. and Namakumari .S, "Marketing Management: Planning, implementation and control", Macmillan, New Delhi, 2nd edition, 1997.
2. Kotter, Philip and Armstrong, Gary, "Principles of Marketing" PHIpvt. Ltd.: New Delhi. 7L edition. 1996.