- Shaping infrastructure development with societal focus
Achieve International Recognition by:
- Developing Professional Civil Engineers
- Offering Continuing Education
- Interacting with Industry with emphasis on R&D
Programme Educational Objectives
- Graduates of the Programme will contribute to the development of infrastructure that is sustainable.
- Graduates of the Programme, as part of an organization or as Entrepreneurs, will continue to learn to harness evolving technologies.
- Graduates of the Programme will be professional Civil Engineers with ethical and societal responsibility.
Graduates of the Civil Engineering Programme will be able to:
- Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and Civil Engineering principles to the solution of complex problemsin Civil Engineering
- Identify, formulate, research literature, and analyse complex Civil Engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics and engineering sciences.
- Design solutions for complex Civil Engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
- Use research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions related to Civil Engineering problems.
- Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering tools such as CAD, FEM and GIS including prediction and modelling to complex Civil Engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
- Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal, and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional Civil Engineering practice.
- Understand the impact of the professional Civil Engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
- Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the Civil Engineering practice.
- Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
- Communicate effectively on complex Civil Engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage Civil Engineering projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
- Recognise the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change.
Programme Specific Outcomes (PSOs)
Graduates of the Civil Engineering Programme will have the
- Ability to implement infrastructure development using sustainable technologies and materials.
- Capacity to work as part of multidisciplinary teams or as Entrepreneurs in applying modern tools which are constantly evolving.
- Integrity to be professional Civil Engineers with ethical and societal responsibility.
History of The Department
Academic Programmes since inception (1964)
- B.Tech. Programme(1964)
- M.Tech. Programmes
- Transportation Engineering and Management (1974)
- Structural Engineering (1986)
- Environmental Engineering (2006)
- Construction Technology and Management (2014)
- Geotechnical Engineering (2020)
- M.S. (By Research) (2006)
- Ph.D. (1974)
Head of the Department
Department of Civil Engineering
National Institute of Technology Tiruchirappalli
Tiruchirappalli – 620 015.
Telephone : + 91 431 2503150 (Office)
+ 91 431 2500133 (Office of the Director)
E-mail : email@example.com