- Design of Welded Plate girders – Economical depth – flange design – curtailment of flange plates – web stiffeners – flange and web splices – connection – Gantry Girder.
- Eccentrically loaded simple and compound columns – lacing – battens – column bases – design and detailing of beam column, moment and shear connections.
- Functional and structural requirements – design of a self supporting chimney – Base plate and Anchor bolt
- Types of cross section – Local and post buckling – Effective width concept – Compression members – Flexural members.
- Limitations and size of structural elements – fabrication and erection equipments – sequence of erection – safety – fabrication and erection tolerances.
Note: Assignments include the drawings of various steel structures.
- Arya,A.S. and Ajmani, A.L., Design of Steel Structures,Nemchand and Brothers, Roorkee
- Ramachandra, Design of Steel Structures, Vol.I and Vol.II, Standard Book House, New Delhi, 1991.