- Departments / Centres
Fundamentals of coherent systems: Basic concepts. Modulation and demodulation schemes. System performance.
Semiconductor optical amplifiers. EDFA and Raman amplifiers – modeling and analysis. Analysis and digital transmission with high power fiber amplifiers.
Multichannel systems: WDM lightwave systems. TDM and code division multiplexing. Advances in wavelength division multiplexing / demultiplexing technologies.
SONET/SDH, ATM, IP, storage area networks.Wavelength routed networks. Next generation opticalInternets.
Soliton systems: Nonlinear effects. Soliton – based communication. High speed and WDM soliton systems
1. G.P.Agrawal, “Fiber Optic Communication Systems (4/e)”, Wiley, 2010
2. B.P.Pal , “Guided Wave Optical Components and Devices”, Elsevier , 2006
1. C.S.Murthy & M.Gurusamy, “WDM Optical Networks”, PHI, 2002
2. R.Ramaswami, K.N. Sivarajan, “Optical Networks”, (2/e), Elsevier, 2002.
3. G.P.Agrawal, “Non linear Fiber Optics”, (4/e), Elsevier, 2010
4. A Selvarajan, S. Kar, T. Srinivas, “Opticl fiber communication principles and systems”, Tata
McGraw Hill, 2005.
Students are able to
CO1: understand the modulation and demodulation schemes in the coherent optical systems.
CO2: understand the various types of the optical amplifiers
CO3: analyse various multiplexing techniques used and evaluate the recent advances in this field
CO4: compare the merits and demerits, potential applications of microwave semiconductor devices.
CO5: analyse the operating principle of WDM solutions systems.