Dr. M.Venkata Kirthiga
- B.E. - Electrical And Electronics Engineering (Anjalai Ammal Mahalingam College of Engineering, Kovilvenni, Bharathidasan /University, Tiruchirappalli)
- M.Tech. - Power Systems (National Institute of Technology, Tiruchirappalli)
- Ph.D. - Distributed Generation and Micro-grids (National Institute of Technology, Tiruchirappalli)
Experience - Total of 16 years
- Associate Professor, National Institute of Technology Tiruchirappalli - since March 2018
- Assistant Professor, National Institute of Technology Tiruchirappalli - 2006 to 2018
- Lecturer, Anjalai Ammal Mahalingam College of Engineering, Kovilvenni - 2001 and from 2004 - 2006
Areas of Interest
- Distributed Generation
- Power Systems
- Electrical Machines
- DC Machines and Transformers
- AC Machines
- Transmission and Distribution of Electrical Energy
- High Voltage Engineering
- Utilisation of Electrical Energy
- Electrical Technology
- Electrical Machines and Control Systems
- Extra High Voltage AC and DC Transmission
- Micro-processors and Micro-controllers
- Advanced Power System Analysis
- High Voltage DC Transmission
- Power System Stability
- Power System Dynamics
- Distributed Generation and Micro-grids
- 70 PG Projects
- 22 UG Projects
- M.S. (by Research) - Completed
1. Stability Constrained Optimal allocation of DGs in Autonomous Micro-grids - Ms. K. Kanimozhi, July 2014 - July 2017
- M.S. (by Research - sponsored) - Ongoing
1. High Voltage Testing - Mr. Vignesh, since July 2019
1. Hybrid Analyzing Techniques for Active Island Detection in Micro-grids - Mr. M. Suman, July 2014 - February 2019.
- Optimal Siting and Sizing of DGs in Non-autonomous Micro-grid - Ms. S. Srividya, since July 2015.
- Special Electrical Machines - Mr. M. H. Ravichandran, since July 2015.
- Grid Integration of Wind Energy based DGs - Mr. Ravulakari Kalyan, since July 2016.
- Power Systems - Mrs. Dwija Desireddy, since January 2018.
- IoT applications in Smart Grid - Mrs. S. Nethravathi (QIP), since July 2019.
- Distributed Generation - Mrs. Arya Vijayan since July 2019.
| Place of visit
|| Purpose of visit
|| IEEE International Conference, TENCON, 21st – 25th November, 2011
|| Study tour under the guidance of Dr. Lalit Goel at Nanyang Technological University, from 29th June – 9th July 2013
|| IEEE International Conference AFRICON 13 during 9th – 12th September 2013
Reviewer - International Journals
- Electric Power Components and Systems – Taylor and Francis Journal – since 2012
- IEEE Transactions on Smart Grids since June 2013.
- International Journal of Emerging Electric Power Systems since November 2013.
- International Journal of Energy Conversion and Management – Elsevier since 2013.
- IEEE Systems Journal - since 2018
Workshops / Training Programmes Conducted
- Two day workshop on “Distributed generation”, under the service to community and Economy of Technical Education Quality Improvement Programme during 14th – 15th December 2007, at the National Institute of Technology, Tiruchirapalli.(Organized with Dr.S.Arul Daniel and Dr.P.Raja)
- Two day workshop on “Renewable Autonomous Power Plants and Micro-grids”, under Self financed scheme during 4th – 5th February 2012, at the National Institute of Technology, Tiruchirapalli. (Organized with Dr.S.Arul Daniel)
- Two day short term course on “High Voltage DC Transmission”, under Self financed scheme during 17th – 18th August 2012, at the National Institute of Technology, Tiruchirapalli.(Sole organizer).
- One day Industrial Workshop on “Understanding IGBT: from Device to Inverter”, under TEQIP, on 8th April 2014, at the National Institute of Technology Tiruchirappalli, in collaboration with Semikron Electronics Private Ltd.(Organized with Dr.M.P.Selvan and Dr.S.Moorthi)
- Two-day Industrial Workshop on “Power System Modeling and Simulation with PSCAD”, between 12th – 13th May 2014, at the National Institute of Technology Tirucirappalli, under TEQIP-II. (Organized with Dr.M.P.Selvan and Dr.S.Moorthi (Principal Organizer).
- Two-week ISTE main workshop on “Control Systems” under National Mission on Education through ICT, (MHRD, Govt. of India) during 2nd – 12th December 2014, at the National Institute of Technology Tiruchirappalli.(Organized with Dr.P.Raja)
- Two day TEQIP Industrial workshop on “Embedded System Design using FPGA board”, during 23rd – 24th April, 2016, at the National Institute of Technology (for PG students). (coordinated with Dr.M.P.Selvan and Dr.S.Moorthi).
- One Month training programme for New Entrepreneurs – “NEEDS (New Entrepreneur-cum Enterprise Development Scheme Programme initiated by the Government of TamilNadu under Entrepreneurship Development Institute of India”, during 30th October – 29th November 2017, at the National Institute of Technology Tiruchirappalli. (coordinated with Dr.G.Kannabiran, Dr.N.Sivakumaran and Dr.V.Lavanya).
- Six day seminar on “ Women in Science and Technology : Breaking the Glass Ceiling” – jointly organized by the ICC and Startup Cell of NITT under the aegis of TEQIP and National Commission for Women, between 18th – 23rd March 2019, in NITT (other coordinators are Dr. Meera Sheriffa Begum, Dr. K. N. Sheeba and Dr. Nisha Radhakrishnan).
- Two Day All India Workshop on "Power Quality Enhancement in Distributed Generation" - jointly organised by the Institution of Engineers TLC and Dept. of EEE, NITT, during 19th - 20th July, 2019 (Chairperson, Technical Committee).
Administrative positions held
1. Associate Dean (Students' Welfare for Girls) - November 2015 - November 2017
2. Faculty Incharge - Guidance and Councelling Cell - November 2015 - November 2017
3. Associate Dean (Alumni Affairs) - December 2017 - December 2018.
Professional Societies Membership
1. Fellow Institution of Engineers (FIE) India - Life Membership
2. Senior Member - IEEE (Member since last seven years)
Room No. G15, EEE Department,
National Institute of Technology,
Phone : 0431 - 2503263