Dr. C. Nagamani
- B.Tech (in Electrical and Electronics Engg. from SVUCE, Tirupati)
- M.Tech. (in Power Electronics from I.I.T ., Kanpur)
- Ph.D. (in Electrical Engg. from University of Technology, Sydney)
- Professor since April 2007 in EEE Dept., N I T, Tiruchirappalli
- Assistant professor from December 2001 to March 2007 in EEE Dept., N I T, Tiruchirappalli
- Lecturer from December 1990 December 2001 in EEE Dept., R.E.C., Tiruchirappalli
- Engg. Officer from June 1985 to November 1990 in CPRI, Bangalore
- Senior Scientific Officer during 1984 to 1985 in I.I.T., New Delhi
- Papers published in national, international journals and presented in various international and national conferences. Click here for the list.
- Reviewer for international journals and conferences
Electron Devices, Computer aided Design of Electrical Machines, Linear Integrated Circuits, Power Electronics, Basics of Electrical Engineering, Power Electronic Application to Power Systems (New Course Introduced) and Circuit Theory.
Power Conversion Techniques, Solid state drives, System Theory, Flexible AC Transmission System, Hybrid Electrical Vehicles
Areas of Interest
Application of Power Electronic controllers to
• Variable speed drives
• Power electroninc controllers for Wind and solar PV based electrical energy conversion systems
• Flexible AC Transmission Systems
• Energy conservation
- Investigation of DSP based controllers for a brushless doubly fed motor. Project jointly sponsored by Austrailian Government and M/s Varispeed pty Ltd., Australia.
Research guidance & projects supervised
- Guided several student projects in the areas of interest. Click here to view a few.
Details of sponsored projects (R&D)
Title: “Unified Power Flow Controller (UPFC) for enhanced utilization and control of the existing power transmission system”
Sponsor: MHRD, Govt. of India, ref: F.26-1/2002. T.S.-V.,
Value: Rs.10.00 lakhs; Duration: 1.4.2003 -31.3.2007; Status: Completed
Development of Power electronics laboratoryRs.34.00 lakhs
Sponsor: National Mission for Power Electronics Technology (NaMPET), Govt. of India
Value:Rs.34.00 lakhs, duration: 1.4.2008-31.7.2009; Status: Completed
‘Development of DC – DC converter and Bi-directional converter for SPV applications' funded by National Mission for Power Electronics Technology (NaMPET), Govt. of India. (Phase II), No. 25(2)/2012 – ESDA Dated 10/10/2012; ; Value:19.64 lakhs; duration 10.10.2012 to 10.9.2014; Status: Completed
'Dynamic loading of motors for open cast mines' funded by NLC India Limited, Neyveli. Value: 63.67 Lakhs, Duration : May 2015 to October 2016. Status: Completed.
'Development of Modular Multilevel Converter for Enhancing Power Quality and PV Output Power under Partial Shading Conditions in Grid Connected PV System (Co-PI)'. Sponsor: SERB, Govt. of India. Value: 48.47 Lakhs. Duration: From 2018 to 2021. Status: Ongoing.
'Electronification of Ground Water Control and Conveyor Systems in Mines'. Sponsor: Ministry of Coal, Govt. of India. Value: 179.53 Lakhs. Duration: 2018 to 2019. Status: Ongoing.
Administrative Responsibilities Undertaken
I.Served as the Warden for Opal Hostel during 2004.
II.Served as HOD during Dec.2005 to Dec.2008.
III.Served as Dean (P&D) during November 2012 to September 2015.
IV.Served as Dean (Academic) during January 2017 to December 2018.
Many developmental activities were carried out in the department during this period. A few are listed below:
- A new MTech programme in Power Electronics was started. Initially funded under TEQIP and by MHRD subsequently
- A new computer centre in the department (45 users)
- Major renovation and refurbishing of all faculty rooms, office room and HOD’s office
- Major rewiring work in laboratories, renovated the power distribution boards
- Implementation of TEQIP phase-1 for Rs.80 lakhs for equipment purchase, conducting of several workshops (under service to community and economy, tribal development, etc.)
- Conducted a National Workshop on Power Electronics, NWPE-2008 sponsored by NaMPET, Dept of IT, Government of India during Nov. 2008.
- Conducted the first ‘Workshop on Power Electronics Education’ sponsored by NaMPET, Dept of IT, Government of India during Jan. 2009.
- Served as a member, in various internal committees from time to time, appointed by administration
- Chairman, DPEC, 2nd Year M.Tech. Power Electronics (2011-2012)
- PAC Chairperson
- Senate Member for PAC Meetings in other departments
- Senate Member for PhD admission interviews in other departments
- Chairperson, Doctoral Committee for Ph.D. students
Membership in Professional Bodies / Organisations
- Life Member - Indian Society for Technical Education (ISTE)
- Member- IEEE
Other responsibilities (professional community)
- Member, staff selection committee for N.I.T., Calicut, TCE, Madurai, CIT Coimabatore, NIT Puduchery, JNTU Hyderabad, and others.
- Member, Board of studies, CIT, Coimbatore, TCE, Madurai and JNTU Ananthapur.
- Member, doctoral committee, Anna University, Tiruchirappalli.
- Expert, PhD Comprehensive viva, Anna University, Tiruchirappalli.