- Departments / Centres
INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS CELL
National Institute of Technology, Tiruchirappalli (NIT Trichy) is dedicated to research, teaching, and extension of knowledge to the public. One of the missions of the NIT Trichy is to develop the human intellectual capability to its fullest potential. Inherent in this responsibility is the need to encourage the production of creative and scholarly works and the development of new and useful materials, devices, processes, and other intellectual property with commercial value. These activities contribute to the professional development of the individuals involved, enhance the reputation of NIT Trichy, provide additional educational opportunities to students, and promote public welfare. In addition to new machines, compositions of matter, and written materials which traditionally have been the subject of patents and copyrights, computer software, video courses, etc. are now normal outcomes of NIT Trichy activities.
The pace of modern science, resulting in new and useful inventions, initiated a need for a central policy in determining the course of the creation, protection, and commercialization of intellectual property at NIT Trichy. This has resulted in the establishment of the Intellectual Property Right (IPR) Cell and the Intellectual Property Policy to encourage creation and protection of intellectual property in the Institute in the year 2017.
OBJECTIVES OF THE NIT TRICHY - IP POLICY:
* To impart knowledge about intellectual property rights to faculty, staff, scholars and students.
* To lay down a transparent administrative system for assessing the ownership and assignment of intellectual property.
* Facilitate the faculty members, staff members, research scholars and students to obtain IP.
* To commercialize the IP owned by the institute.
* Sharing of the revenue generated by the intellectual property generated and owned by the institute.
NOTABLE IPR CELL ACTIVITIES
* NIT Trichy-IPR was released in the year 2017 with the approval of BoG.
* Empanelled law firms to carry out patent filing activities.
* Many workshops have been conducted to create IPR awareness among the faculty, research scholars, and students.
* 75 five patent applications have been filed through IPR Cell by the faculty and research scholars and the faculty.
* 21 patents have been granted
* Successfully trademarked Institute logos.
THE HIGHLIGHTS OF NIT TRICHY IPR POLICY
* IP OWNERSHIP: Intellectual property of any kind created by faculty, students, staff, project staff, visitors and others, such as trainees from other institutes, participating in NIT Trichy programs or using NIT Trichy funds or facilities, are owned by the institute.
* IP MANAGEMENT PERSONNEL: Mode of appointment of IP Management Personnel and Intellectual Property Committee (IPC) to help administer intellectual property and to make suitable recommendations for implementation.
* EVALUATION AND FLOW DIAGRAM: A procedure to techno-commercial evaluation of invention and patent invention to grant flow diagram are given.
* REVENUE SHARING: 70 % of the net earnings from the commercialization of IP would be distributed to the inventors and remaining 30 % would be shared by NIT Trichy
List of Patents Published-Granted Nov 2023
HEAD IPR CELL
DR. M. JAYA BHARATA REDDY
DEPARTMENT OF ELECTRICAL AND ELECTRONICS ENGINEERING
NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY