MECHANICS OF SOLIDS – I
- Tension, compression and shear stresses - Hooke's law - simple problems - compound stresses - composite bars - thermal stresses.
- Strain Energy due to axial force, bending moment, shear - Resilience - stresses due to impact and suddenly applied load - Principal stress and principal planes Beams and support conditions -Types of supports, shear force and bending moment - their diagrams for simply supported beams, cantilevers and overhanging beams.
- Theory of simple bending - Stress distribution at a cross section due to Bending Moment and Shear .
- Method of joints – Method of sections – Graphical method.
- Thin cylinders and shells.
- Theory of torsion - Torsion of circular and hollow circular shafts and shear stresses due to torsion - closed and open coiled helical springs - leaf spring.
- Vazirani, V.N. and Ratwani, N.M., Strength of Materials, Vol I, Khanna Publishers, 1996.
- Kazimi, Mechanics of Solids, Tata McGraw - Hill, 1998.
- Timoshenko, S.P. and Gere, J.M., Mechanics of Materials, Tata McGraw Hill, 1992.