- Departments / Centres
FACULTY MEMBER : Prof.H.J. PRABHU
To learn about organic chemical process industries, identify the engineering problems solved and process developments existing.
1. NATURAL PRODUCTS PROCESSING:
Production of pulp, paper and rayon. Manufacture of sugar, starch and starch derivatives. Gasification of coal and chemicals from coal.
2. INDUSTRIAL MICROBIAL PROCESSES AND EDIBLE OILS:
Fermentation processes for the production of ethyl alcohol, citric acid and antibiotics. Refining of edible oils and fats, fatty acids. Soaps and detergents.
3. PETROLEUM REFINING AND PETROCHEMICAL PRECURSORS:
Petroleum refining to produce naphtha, fuel hydrocarbons and lubricants. Processes for the production of petrochemicalprecursors: ethylene,propylene, butadiene, acetylene, synthetic gas, benzene, toluene and xylene. ( Cracking, Catalytic reforming and separation of products)
4. POLYMER BASED INDUSTRIES AND THEIR CHARACTERISTICS:
Plastics: Production of thermoplastic and thermosetting resins such as polyethylene, polypropylene, phenolic resins and epoxy resins; Polymers and their applications in engineering practice.
5. FIBRE FORMING AND ELASTOMERIC POLYMERS:
Synthetic fibres: polyamides, polyesters and acrylics from monomers. Processes for the production of natural and synthetic rubbers.
1. G.T. Austin, " Shreve's Chemical Process Industries", 5th Edn., Mcgraw Hill Book Co., NewYork, 1984.
2. R. Gopal Rao and M. Sittig, " Dryden's Outline of Chemical Technology",3rd Edn., Affiliated East-West Publishers, 1990.
1. S.D.ShukIa and G.N. Pandey, "Text book of Chemical Technology", Vol. I, 1977.