To introduce basic concepts and features of OS with case study on different operating systems.
Operating System concept- OS Structure –Services-System calls – Process management-Process Concept-Operations on process-Cooperating processes- Inter-process communication-Process scheduling-Scheduling algorithms-Threads- Multithreading models.
Process synchronization- critical-section problem – Synchronization hardware – Semaphores – Classic problems of synchronization – critical regions – Monitors Deadlock-Deadlock characterization – Methods for handling deadlocks – Recovery from deadlock
Memory management-Buddysystem-Paging-segmentation-Virtual Memory –Demand paging-Page replacement algorithms – Allocation of frames – Thrashing-Working set model
Files and Directories - Files System structure- Implementation –File allocation methods-Free space management. I/O systems – I/O interface –Kernel I/O subsystem. Disk scheduling algorithms- Disk management-Swap space management
Protection andsecurity -Case Study-Linux, Windows, Mac OS and Mobile OS
1. Silberschatz, Galvin and Gagne, “Operating System Concepts”, 9th Edition, John Wiley & Sons Inc, 2013.
2. Andrew S. Tanenbaum, “Modern Operating Systems”, 3rd Edition, Prentice-Hall of India, 2007
3. SibsankarHaldar, Alex A.Aravind, “Operating systems”, Pearson Education,2009.
Students will be able to:
1. Use system calls to interact with OS
2. Synchronize multiple processes and handle issues in synchronization
3. Implement memory management techniques
4. Implement algorithms in secondary storage and file management techniques
5. Design the functionalities of OS