BUILDING MATERIALS AND GEOLOGY
- Stone - Varieties - Dressing of stones - Broken stone - Uses. Sand - sources - suitability - grading - properties and uses. Bricks - Hollow blocks - Terra cotta - Refractory materials.
- Timber - Plywood, fibre boards and particle boards.
- Cement - Mortar - Concrete - Characteristics - Preparation - tests and uses. Steel - Reinforcing steel - Structural steel - Market forms - Properties - Uses. Roofing materials - Tiles - A.C. sheets - False ceiling and false flooring materials.
- Paints - Aluminium - Plastics - Glass - Ferro Cement - Flooring Materials. Various branches of Geology - Scope of Geology in Civil Engineering. Geological Processes - Weathering, rivers, ground-water and earthquakes, Forms of igneous bodies - Elementary knowledge on Indian Stratigraphy.
- Geophysical investigations and their applications - Land slides - Identification of various rock structures and geomorphic units - its usefulness in engineering considerations.
- Structural elements of rocks - Classification of rocks - mineralogy - important rock forming minerals.
- Rangwala, S.C. Engineering Materials, Charotar Publishing House, 8th edition, 1983.
- Thomas C. Jester, 20th Century Building Materials, Tata McGraw-Hill,1997
- Parbin Singh, Engineering and General Geology, S.K. Kataria and Sons, 1997.