MECHANICS OF SOLIDS – II
- Principle of virtual displacement and virtual forces - Castigliano's first and second theorem - Maxwell's reciprocal theorem.
- Determination of deflection curve - double integration - Macaulay's method - Area moment method - Conjugate beam method - strain energy and dummy unit load approaches to deflection of Simple and Curved members.
- Statically indeterminate Structures - Propped Beams, fixed and continuous beams - Application of Theorem of three moments - Calculation of reactions, bending moment and shear force. Thick cylinders - Lame's equation - Shrink fit - compound cylinders.
- Deflection of trusses - Dummy unit load method - Strain energy method - Willot Mohr's diagram.
- Theory of columns: Axial load, combined bending and axial load - Euler's formula for long struts-Practical applications-Empirical formulae - Beam columns.
- Vazirani,V.N. and Ratwani, N.M. Strength of Materials, Vol. II, Kanna Publishers, 1996.
- Timoshenko, S.P. and Gere, J.M. Mechanics of Materials, Tata McGraw Hill, 1992
- Rajput R.K., Strength of Materials, S. Chand & Company Ltd., 1996.