GEOTECHNICAL ENGINEERING – II
- Soil exploration - Planning - Augur boring - Soundings - Sampling - Plate load test, sounding tests - static and dynamic penetrations tests - geophysical explorations of field and laboratory tests.
- Lateral Earth Pressure - Plastic equilibrium - Rankine's theory - Active and passive earth pressure for cohesionless and cohesive soils - Earth pressure at rest - Coloumb's wedge theory - Rebhann's and Culmann's graphical solutions, Stability analysis of slopes.
- Functions and requisites of a foundation - Different types - choice of foundation type – general principles of design.Bearing capacity - types of failures - Prandtl's and Terzaghi's bearing capacity analysis - Bearing capacity based on settlement and building codes.
- Proportioning of spread footings - combined footings - trapezoidal and strap footings - Raft foundation - conventional method - IS code of practice. Contact pressure distribution - settlement analysis - Types of settlement, control - design for equal settlement.
- Factors leading to adoption of deep foundation - piles - types - load carrying capacity of pile - static and dynamic formula - pile load test - penetration test - pile groups - Efficiency - Feld's rule - Converse Labarre formula, Settlement of piles and pile groups - Negative skin friction - under reamed piles.
- Murthy, V.N.S, Soil Mechanics and Foundations, Dhanpat Raj Publishers, 1993.
- Punmia, B.C., Soil Mechanics and Foundations , Standard Book House, 1991.
- Gopal Ranjan and Rao, Basic and Applied Soil Mechanics, Wiley Eastern Pub., 1985