ENVIRONMENTAL ENGINEERING - I
- Physical, chemical and biological characteristics of water - water analysis- IS and WHO standards- Requirements of water supply - Types of demand and their contribution - rate of consumption - Forecasting the population- variation in demand pattern.
- Sources of water - quantitative and qualitative studies. Intakes - Channels and pipes for conveying water - hydraulic design of pressure pipe – Pipes- Materials – laying- joining- testing – pipe appurtenances- Pumps and pumping stations.
- Treatment plants - process of treatments – mixing, aeration, sedimentation, coagulation, filtration, disinfection, softening - advanced water treatment.
- Distribution systems – analysis of distribution networks.
- Operation and maintenance of water supply to buildings - Rural water supply - Protected water supply - Insect control - Rodent control - Food control - Saline water intrusion.
Note: Assignments include the drawings of various water treatment units.
- Garg, S.K.,Water Supply Engineering, Khanna Publishers, 1984.
- Birdie, G.S. and Birdie, Water Supply and Sanitary Engineering, Dhanpat Rai & Sons, 1986.
- Duggal, K.N. Elements of Public Health Engineering, S.Chand & Co, 1975.