NON-DESTRUCTIVE TESTING AND FAILURE ANALYSIS OBJECTIVE
: To become familiar with NDT techniques and to get exposed to the concept and procedure associated with failure analysis.
1 LPT, MPT AND RADIOGRAPHY
Visual examination; liquid penetrant testing – procedure; penetrant testing materials, penetrant testing method – sensitivity; application and limitations; magnetic particle testing; definition and principle; magnetizing technique, procedure, equipment sensitivity and limitation; radiography – basic principle, electromagnetic radiation in film, radiographic imaging, inspection techniques, applications, limitations, real time radiography, safety in industrial radiography.
2 EDDY CURRENT AND ULTRASONIC TECHNIQUES
Eddy current testing – principle, instrument techniques, sensitivity application, limitation; ultrasonic testing – basic properties of sound beam, ultrasonic transducers, inspection methods, technique for normal beam inspection, flaw characterization technique, ultrasonic flaw detection equipment modes of display, immersion testing, advantage, limitations; acoustic emission testing – principles of AET and techniques.
3 APPLICATION OF NDT TO FINISHED PRODUCTS
Comparison and selection of NDT methods – defects like casting defects, forging and rolling defect, extrusion defect, drawing defect, grinding cracks, heat treating cracks, service defects; selection of NDT methods- VE, LPT, MPT, ECT, RT, UT, AET and thermography; selection of instrumentation for various NDT methods; reliability in NDT.
4 FAILURE ANALYSIS – I
Failure analysis – methodology; approaches, tools and techniques of failure analysis; modes of failure; failure data retrieval; procedural steps for investigation of a failure for failure analysis.
5 FAILURE ANALYSIS – II
Improvements (design, material) derived from failure analysis; two case studies; application of fracture mechanics concepts to design for safety.
TEXT BOOKS :
- Baldev Raj, Jayakumar T., Thavasimuthu M., ‘Practical Non-Destructive Testing’, Narosa Publishing, 1997.
- Das A.K., ‘Metallurgy of Failure Analysis’, TMH, 1992.
- Hull., ‘Non-Destructive Testing’, ELBS Edition, 1991
- Halmshaw R., - ‘Non-Destructive Testing’, Edward Arnold, 1989
- Rolfe T., Barsom J., ‘Fracture and Fatigue Control and Structure – Application of Fracture Mechanics’, Prentice Hall, 1977
- Metals Hand Book (Failure Analysis and Prevention), Volume X, American Society for Metals, 1988
- Metals Hand Book (Mechanical Testing), Volume VIII, American Society for Metals, 1988
- Suryanarayana., ‘Testing of Metallic Materials’, Prentice Hall India, 1979